_____________________________________________
I was never much of a runner. In junior high, I was in track. I competed the long jump, attempted the high jump (no coordination), didn't even get close to the hurdles after my failed attempt at hurdling at a park (more detail here). I loved running short distances. 100 meter dash was my favorite. You could see the finish line when you were crouched down waiting for the gunshot. But the coaches kept telling me that with my long legs, that I would be great for long distances. I totally understand. I mean my stride is equal to 2 strides of an average person. So I thought, why not give it a try. The 200 meter dash wasn't bad at all. 400 meter dash was doable. But I will never forget the day that I had to compete in the 3200 meter dash (about 2 miles if you do the math). It was in a little town in Nebraska. Actually Charlie's grandma lives in this town, directly across from that evil track. I thought I would never finish that race. It was definitely one of the hardest things I have ever done. I vowed on that day that I would compete in a long distance race ever again.
Fast forward about 18 years. I'm not sure if turning thirty-two rattled something in the ole noggin. Maybe I'm just tired of looking at this lumpy stomach (sorry no picture) that just won't go away no matter how much I diet. Or perhaps it's these calves.
I want runner's calves. You know the ones that just scream at you that you are a person who loves to run. I need to exercise. So I decided I would train for a 5K. I heard many people at work talk about the Couch to 5K. It's a program that does just what it says. Gets your ass off the couch and within 9 weeks, has you running a 5K race (without stopping for potty breaks or in my case, an inhaler and I'm not even asthmatic). My husband knows my hatred for running so he gave me some incentive. He said that if I can run the entire 5K without stopping, that he would buy me a new pair of running shoes. Not just a plain jane pair of Nike's from Kohl's. I am going to get professionally fit for a pair of shoes. I am going to prove to myself that I can do this. So with the training program I am doing, within nine weeks, they will have you running a 5K. The only problem is, I am signing up for a 5K through my work that is on April 30th. So my nine week program is going to have to be consolidated into a six week program. I am just going to have to push myself a little harder. Here is the program I am running. I have just entered my third week and it really hasn't been that bad. There is just enough walking that gives me time to catch my breath before having to run again. I'm not sure what will happen when I get to week 5 and the only walking I get is the 5 minute brisk walk in the beginning. I guess I will tackle that hurdle when I get to it. Although hurdles scare me so maybe that isn't the best choice of words.
What I love about running:
- Being outside. The weather is beautiful in Oklahoma right now and I love watching the leaves turn and watch the geese down at the lake that I run around.
- Having some "Megan time". This does not happen very often. Unless I'm showering or sleeping. It's great to plug in my iPod and hit the pavement for 30 minutes.
- The rush that goes through my body when I'm done running. Too bad I can't feel those endorphins when I am about to pass out while in the middle of my run.
- What it is doing for my body. I am increasing my heart rate and getting the blood flowing through my body. I am also burning calories so I don't feel nearly as bad when I have that miniature Reese's PB cup for a snack after work.
- I can't breathe. I'm sure this is something that I just have to work on. I need to take deeper breaths and pace myself.
- My stride. As mentioned above, I have very long legs. I wear a 34-35 inch seam in pants. One would think that I could take long strides when I run. But when I do that, I really can't breathe so I end up running these baby steps. I'm sure my daughter would be able to beat me in a race.
- No running partner. Since Charlie has to watch Abbie while I run, I really have no companion to push me along. I brought my beagle on my first run and realized that he would be more hinder then help. He doesn't mind the walking but once I start running, it's like I am dragging a 30 lb weight behind me.
- The Oklahoma heat. I have learned that I CAN NOT run when the sun is out. The sun is like my Kryptonite
- My neighborhood. At sometime during my route, I am having to go uphill. Usually that is when I slow it down and walk. I just hope that the route on race day will be flat b/c if not, I can just kiss that pair of running shoes goodbye.

No comments:
Post a Comment